Thursday, May 3, 2007

And I swear...

Was reading through The New Paper from previous Sunday, when I came across this article from Siva Choy, talking about words we used in the past to replace the actual bad word. As usual, articles by him are humourous with a hint of sacarsm, but at the same time, also straight to the point and address the issue well.

After reading the article, I personally feel that much had changed over the years regarding the use of swear words, especially among students and in the public. I'm not sure whether the situation is always the same, or that it has indeed change, but I'm definitely hearing more and more of the f-word being used these days, until I'm not sure when exactly I got used to hearing it, and started using it when nobody is around to hear me. But with the younger generations nowadays, it seems like they want people to hear them using the f-word... and they don't care where they are, or how loud they are.

-----------------------------
Talking over the phone : "That stupid ******, what the **** he think he's doing? He thought this is his ******* home ah! **** him lah!"
-----------------------------
X : "Eh, how the **** do you do this?"
Z : "You stupid ****** lah, so easy also don't know. **** you lah!
-----------------------------
Student A taps student B on the shoulder.
Student B : "Hey, what the **** you want?"
Student A : "Ooi, you ******, why scold me bad word?"
-------------------------

For some students I come across regularly, it seems like the f-word is their best friend. They bring it everywhere they go, in everything they say. Oh, and not forgetting those other bad words in different dialects and languages. I'm not sure whether foreign language songs and movies include the use of any swear words in their native tongues, or the use the universal f-word. And so far, I have only heard dialect swear words in some movies, but not yet in songs... which made me wonder if there are any out there.

Anyway, I have to agree with Mr. Siva Choy that, indeed, the f-word is much overused today, in movies, songs, storybooks, etc. But still, not everyone is comfortable with the f-word, especially the older generations. But I'm sure the more open-minded ones are getting used to it.

So it sets me thinking. Who was the one at the very start to say that the f-word is a bad word, a swear word? Isn't it like any regular word, with a proper meaning, that can be found in every decent dictionary? What next after this f-word? Could there be possibly another stronger swear word than this? Or that this is the one and only super ultimate worst swear word that we can use without getting tired of it?

No comments: