Saturday, May 26, 2007

The unpredictable

Just got a call from a student telling me that one of his female classmate's father had passed away suddenly last night. I had known the girl for the past one and a half years. I had been assisting her class for computer lessons ever since I joined the school in 2005.

The girl has always been on good behaviour, and although she is in the normal technical stream, she still shows the eagerness to learn. She doesn't talk much but is not shy to ask questions when in doubt. She is always smiling and polite to all teachers.

So, it was quite a shock to hear the news of her father's sudden passing. Her smiling face immediately appeared in my mind. I really can't imagine how she was taking it. Fifteen years old... so young to have to face the fact of losing her father. I suddenly wished that it was not the start of the school vacation, and that I would be able to see her and ask her how she is.

The boy who told me the news, said that he and some classmates, including some teachers and principal, were at the wake this morning. He said the girl was not showing any signs of sadness. In fact, she was still smiling like she always does in school. I wondered if it was her way of hiding her pain.

This sudden news had made me realised once again, that life, is indeed, full of unexpected twists and turns, be they good or bad. Anything can happen to anybody at anytime.

So, do treasure those around you. Never take anything or anybody for granted.

**I do apologise if this entry sounds too pessimistic.

No comments: