Friday, June 13, 2008

Hong Kong Day 1 (10th Jun)

Arrived at Nathan Hotel about 4:30 p.m. (no time difference between HK and Singapore). We were quite lucky coz we got upgraded to their executive room as the type of room we had booked were all occupied. And lucky for us too, coz the hotel had just recently undergone some renovations.


I might sound like a moutain tortoise, but check this thing out. It's like a central, touch senstive thingy that controls all the lightings, air-con, and even do away with "Make up room" and "Do not disturb" hang-on-the-door-knob signs.

You just need to press on the desired request and it will appear lighted up outside the door, right above the doorbell. You can also choose to see the actual timings of some major cities to be displayed.

Dinner

Venue : Sweet Dynasty

Total Bill : HK$164

We could not forget the big and delicious shrimp wontons that we had when we were visiting Hong Kong 5 years ago. So for our first food stop, we decided to go back to where we remembered having our desserts and first bowl of authentic Hong Kong wonton noodle shop.

Noodle with wonton soup - HK$32

The wontons in Singapore can never compare to those in Hong Kong. Can anybody tell me where I can find wontons filled with 2 whole fresh shrimps, and with just a little minced pork in between? The wonton skin is being fully utilised which instead of tasting more skin than the fillings (like what we would usually find locally), when you bit into those Hong Kong wontons, you can only taste the sweet freshness and juiciness of the shrimps, you hardly notice that the thin wonton skin wrapped around.

I also realised that they don't make pure pork wontons like we do here. All their wontons are filled with shrimps. And in that bowl of noodle soup, there are 6 big fat, succulent wontons, with the noodles cooked just to the right texture. Oohh... just thinking of it makes me want to have another bowl of it. Heh.

Fresh meat ball congee - HK$35

The meatballs in the congee were huge! See those 3 in the picture is already like taking up a third of the bowl, can you imagine that there are 6 of them in that gigantic bowl of congee? I had 4 and surrendered the other 2 to the husband coz I need some space for my tau huey later.

Don't be fooled by the plain appearance of the congee. It was actually very smooth, and tasty. Underneath it all was one big mushroom, cut stalks of spring onions, minced squid, and slices after slices of lettuce.


Steamed barbeque pork noodle roll - HK$28

Yeah, you got it. They do not call it "chee cheong fun" there, well, at least not in this restaurant. This was just all right, normal, except that there were pork bits in every bite of the noodle roll.

Deep fried yam cake - HK$14

The husband said this was good, but I didn't think so. I'm not a yam person, so maybe I don't know how to appreciate the fragrance and unique taste of good yam.

Tofu pudding with walnut soup - HK$19

Tofu pudding - HK$14

Yes, tofu pudding = tau huey. I didn't get to taste the husband's one with the walnut. But my pure tau huey was good. Very smooth and the syrup was not too sweet.

Victoria Harbour

There is this light show, A Symphony of Lights, that goes on every evening at the harbour front. Commercial buildings at the other side took part in this event and will have colourful lights shining and sparkling in different ways along with the music. Something like the musical fountain, except they use buildings here instead of water.

Honestly, I was expecting much more than what was shown. (coz they mentioned that it was in the Guiness Book of Records for being the largest light show) But somehow, it lacked that "omph" factor. The show didn't make us go like "Wow, that's amazing! How did they do it?" that sort of thing. I thought just the normal scenic view of the harbour was much more entertaining than the light show itself.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i dig the desserts at tang dynasty! especially the beancurd pudding...